Yacovetta Announces Retirement…What’s Next?

Search for new principal focuses on leadership, building community

Photo courtesy of Gina Yacovetta.

Gina Yacovetta formally announced her retirement upon returning from winter break.

Anthony Mortensen, Reporter

On Jan. 8, soon after returning from winter break, Principal Gina Yacovetta announced her retirement. Within her 6 years as principal, Arvada High has changed a lot. During her tenure, the campus has seen not only renovations, but also the foundation of a partnership with the New Tech Network and new career pathways to help students prepare for future jobs. So, whats next?

In late January, the Arvada High Principal Selection committee announced the job opening at and began to advertise nationally through New Tech, Relay, and also Case. On Feb. 3, community superintendent Wendy Doran hosted a community meeting to determine what the community would recommend and like to see in the next principal as well as to voice what changes they would like to see.

During this meeting, community members brought up that they would like somebody who can blend into the community and its diversity but also with the best interest for the school.  The music boosters specifically mentioned their desire to see more appreciation for the program they have developed.

However, the main topic of conversation was leadership: What does leadership look like for the Arvada community?

The community wanted a leader who wants to continuously improve the school and its environment, somebody who is observant before they make decisions, but most importantly somebody who wants the best for the students of Arvada.

After taking the communities input the committee began the final interview process. They took all applications and screened the candidates through a rigorous process to determine the possible interviewees. Then the committee held meetings with the possible interviewees as well as the Superintendent on Feb. 12. Following the final interviews the committee and superintendent had chosen their new principal.

Shannon Vigil, newly announced Principal of Arvada High School

On Feb. 17, Shannon Vigil was formally announced as the Principal beginning in summer 2021. Vigil has worked in Jeffco Public Schools for 20 years, serving as a classroom teacher, dean and most recently as assistant principal at Columbine High School.